Friday, August 8, 2014

Forgiving Richard Nixon

Today marks the 40th anniversary of the resignation of Richard Nixon.  In listening to the many retrospectives, I find myself conflicted.  Nixon accomplished a great deal during his presidency but his most lasting legacy appears to be the remembrance of his descent into political hell during and after the Watergate fiasco.  Forty years ago, I believed that his fate was well deserved and, I suppose, I continue to think so today.  And yet, these days I find myself feeling a tad more sorry for the man and his failings than I find myself felling angry.  I wonder if others amongst us have similar feelings about the man as well. 

Peace.


*****

In my youth, I actually had nightmares about Nixon.  Indeed, in my lifetime, he is the only President, I have ever had a dream about.  I remember riding the Greyhound bus across the country on my way to Amherst and listening to this song and thinking about Nixon.


I also remember cringing when Sammy Davis, Jr. famously hugged the man and my anger at Sammy for doing that prevented me from appreciating Sammy as an artist for many years to come.

But I am no longer so young and my nightmares tend to be few and far between these days.  Long ago, I forgave Sammy and actually bought a CD of his greatest hits. To my surprise, Sammy could really, really sing.  And so, today, I can appreciate him for his talent and forgive him for his failings.

Likewise, with Nixon, I guess I have seen so much over the years.  Time has passed and like so many others that I once feared and/or despised, Nixon just no longer seems to merit such negative energy.  Today, in looking back at him, he just seems more and more like a pathetic man who through hard work was able make his own living hell.  In looking at such a life, I find myself feeling more pity than anger.  

Of course, I could never condone the sins of the man, but I continue to work on forgiving the sinner.

Peace.


P.S.  Please see


and 


ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment