Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Philosophy for 2013



During this Black History Month of 2013, there have been many quotes offered that have been attributed to W. E. B. DuBois. I now offer not just a quote but a lengthy statement that once upon a time adorned the walls of the homes of African Americans throughout the land. It is especially fitting that we remember these words since DuBois Philosophy for 1913 could still apply today. The following is taken from a speech I gave in 2009 on the centennial anniversary of the founding of the NAACP.  I now offer it as a centennial restatement for 2013.   
Peace,
Everett Jenkins

One of the brightest lights of the NAACP was W. E. B. DuBois. In 1913, DuBois wrote an editorial entitled “A Philosophy for 1913” and I think it bears remembering his words now. DuBois said:
I am by birth and law a free black American citizen.
As such I have both rights and duties.
If I neglect my duties my rights are always in danger. If I do not maintain my rights I cannot perform my duties.
I will listen, therefore, neither to the fool who would make me neglect the things I ought to do, nor to the rascal who advises me to forget the opportunities which I and my children ought to have, and must have, and will have.
Boldly and without flinching, I will face the hard fact that in this, my fatherland, I must expect insult and discrimination from persons who call themselves philanthropists and Christians and gentlemen. I do not wish to meet this despicable attitude by blows; sometimes I cannot even protest by words; but may God forget me and mine if in time or eternity I ever weakly admit to myself or the world that wrong is not wrong, that insult is not insult, or that color discrimination is anything but an inhuman and damnable shame.
Believing this with my utmost soul, I shall fight race prejudice continually.If possible, I shall fight it openly and decidedly by word and deed.When that is not possible I will give of my money to help others to do the deed and say the word which I cannot.This contribution to the greatest of causes shall be my most sacred obligation.
Whenever I meet personal discrimination on account of my race and color I shall protest.If the discrimination is old and deep seated, and sanctioned by law, I shall deem it my duty to make my grievance known, to bring it before the organs of public opinion and to the attention of men of influence, and to urge relief in courts and legislatures.
I will not, because of inertia or timidity or even sensitiveness, allow new discriminations to become usual and habitual.To this end I will make it my duty without ostentation, but with firmness to assert my right to vote, to frequent places of public entertainment and to appear as a man among men.I will religiously do this from time to time, even when personally I prefer the refuge of friends and family.
While thus fighting for Right and Justice, I will keep my soul clean and serene.I will not permit cruel and persistent persecutions to deprive me of the luxury of friends, the enjoyment of laughter, the beauty of sunsets, or the inspiration of a well-written word.Without bitterness (but also without lies), without useless recrimination (but also without cowardly acquiescence), without unnecessary heartache (but with not self-deception), I will walk my way, with uplifted head and level eyes, respecting myself too much to endure without protest studied disrespect from others, and steadily refusing to assent to the silly exaltations of a mere tint of skin or curl of color.
In fine, I will be a man and know myself to be one, even among those who secretly and openly deny my manhood, and I shall persistently and unwaveringly seek by every possible method to compel all men to treat me as I treat them.


No comments:

Post a Comment